Home Owner's Insurance Mehr, Fairbanks & Peterson


Our homeowners insurance lawyers assist homeowners when their homeowners insurance claim has been wrongfully denied. Our lawyers can also help homeowners insurance policy holders when their insurance company has unreasonably delayed paying a property damage claim.

When a homeowners insurance company wrongfully denies or unreasonably delays payment of a valid homeowners insurance claim, it is called acting in “bad faith.” Your Kentucky homeowners insurance policy is a contract between you and the insurance company. That contract creates a special relationship between you and your homeowners insurance company that requires them to act in good faith in their dealings with you. When they play games with your valid homeowners insurance property damage claim, they are acting in bad faith.

Call us, or request a free claim evaluation today. We are here to help.

Frequently Asked Questions on Homeowners Insurance

What does a homeowners insurance policy cover?

Homeowners insurance policies vary from policy to policy and insurance company to insurance company, but a homeowners insurance dispute lawyer can review your policy and explain in plain English what your obligations are and what the homeowners insurance company must cover. Your insurance agent may be able to explain things to you, but they will always paint the policy in the best light. Depending on the policy, your Kentucky homeowners insurance may cover property damage claims for things like wind damage, rain, water or flood damage, landslides, fire or theft. However, this does not mean that your homeowners insurance company will pay the claim.


Whenever you need to file a homeowners insurance claim, it is a good idea to contact an experienced lawyer who has taken on homeowners insurance companies in disputed claim cases.

Is my homeowners insurance company acting in bad faith?

Just because your homeowners insurance denied your claim for property damage, it does not mean that they have acted in bad faith. You should always request a free consultation from an experienced homeowners insurance bad faith lawyer.


In general, your insurance company may be acting in bad faith if:

  • They unreasonably delay paying your claim or delay in responding to your calls, emails and other communication regarding a dispute.

  • They refuse to pay a valid claim.

  • They refuse to pay for a covered loss or property damage.

  • They refuse to pay any part of a covered claim including personal property or damage to part of your home.

  • They “low ball” your claim, only paying a fraction of what is fair market value.

  • They change adjusters in the middle of an insurance claim that results in delay.

  • They fail to pay where coverage was originally promised, or wrongful denial of insurance coverage.

  • They set impossible conditions, which may include requiring you to have itemized receipts for every single item of lost or damaged personal property or requiring you to submit multiple types of “proof of loss,” such as numerous recorded statements or written proof of loss.

What types of damages am I entitled to in a homeowners insurance bad faith claim?

If an insurance company has acted in bad faith on your homeowners insurance claim, an experienced bad faith lawyer can evaluate your case and tell you what monetary damages you are entitled to under your policy. But, generally, you are entitled to the benefits of the policy, any additional damages that you have suffered because of their bad faith and, in some cases, punitive damages to punish the insurance company.

Call us, or request a free claim evaluation today. We are here to help.


If your claim has been denied,
call now: